I have always been a self-described “adaptable person”.  Enter – move to new house a slight distance from family, in a neighborhood where I don’t know anyone, in a cold house, and for the first time in my life – NO SCHEDULE!  I don’t know what to do.  All adaptableness has fled.  I’m having a huge insecurity moment here.  (Michele, this is the part where you dash to my rescue, because, after all, you get me even when I don’t get myself.)

Since the time I was 6 the bulk of my day revolved around a specific schedule.  First there was school, then work entered in.  Serious schedule.  A specific time I needed to get up, a specific time I needed to leave the house, I specific time I needed to arrive, and a specific time I got home.

When I was 22 I moved to the mission for 3 years and didn’t usually have a specific time schedule, but I had specific tasks and I shared an apartment with 3 girls so we in order to not conflict schedules, we at least had a specific meal time schedule which gave a semblance of an over-all schedule.

This past year, I only worked at a traditional job 3 days a week, but 2 days were spent either working on our house of in prep for the trip.

Now. . . . . . . . . . . .  No schedule and only one specific task that needs accomplishing – unpacking.  I’m floundering a bit.  How do you accomplish a job with no schedule or deadline?  That’s all I’ve known the past 23 years of my life.  I think that’s called no stress and THAT’S stressful.

But I think the part that’s gonna take more adapting for me then the “no schedule”, is the lack of people.  Twelve years of spending 6 1/2 hours in a classroom with other humans.  Fourteen and half years spent in an office where I talked on the phone to countless humans, talked to customers (aka humans), and talked to my co-secretary (yep, she’s also a human).

So today, I’m grateful that our oven quit working.  A service man is coming to work on it today.  Maybe he’ll talk to me.  Oh, and our railing expert is also coming.  Maybe he’ll talk to me.  And later this afternoon I get to go for a walk with a female human.  Oh, you can only imagine the words that will be spilling forth.

So my goals for this week, I mean year, or however long it takes me to learn:
– learn to accomplish tasks without a schedule (it might be called discipline?)  Do schedules prevent the learning of discipline?    Hmmm.  Gonna have to ponder that – as I accomplish my task of course.
– learn to enjoy solitude.  I think there’s a lot of good that can come out of that.   And I think I might, yeah, I just might enjoy that.

1. Jolynn  •  Dec 6, 2010 @2:44 pm

Awe! I love your honesty! Glad for you, you have some exposure to humans today… :) Happy going through the adapting phase, Lucy!

2. lynnelle  •  Dec 6, 2010 @3:15 pm

This sounds like a good topic for discussion on a walk someday. Hope you get it figured out enough to get a bunch of stuff done today. And have fun finding places for your stuff and putting it in it’s place. Wish I could be there to help and to TALK as we do it! :) Lots of love!

3. Ginger Fox  •  Dec 6, 2010 @3:20 pm

Must come visit you in your new house!

4. Lucy  •  Dec 6, 2010 @3:34 pm

Oh, yes, Lynnelle. I’m sure you could help me ponder this. :) When? When?

5. Lucy  •  Dec 6, 2010 @3:35 pm

Oh, Ginger. I would love to have you come visit.

6. Christy  •  Dec 6, 2010 @4:48 pm

I get this!!! It is so hard for me to stay disciplined when I don’t have a schedule. Keeping a plan book is the only way I can stay on top of things, otherwise the urgent takes place of the important.

7. Renita Bushnell  •  Dec 6, 2010 @6:39 pm

Wish I could come help you, Lucy. I’m so glad for you that you are finally moved into your new house!!! Interesting… no stress is stressful, but I know what you mean. I agree it takes more discipline. Hope your transition phase goes well. Love you!

8. Lucy  •  Dec 7, 2010 @2:47 pm

Renita, would be so fun to have you here.
    Christy the plan book sounds like a plan. :) Duane says until I have a whole month of not being sure what to do with myself, we’re not gonna get too worried. I think he’s right. I’m over-reacting a bit and imagining worst case scenario’s. This past year has been so intense, so to all the sudden not have 5 things that need to be done immediately. . . I get a little lost.

9. Martha  •  Dec 8, 2010 @5:08 pm

I agree with Lynnelle…good topic for discussion. Obviously I can’t imagine it right now but I’m sure my day will come. Please have answers for me then :)

10. Elizabeth  •  Dec 15, 2010 @1:54 am

Ahh this is SO me…… Only I couldn’t have explained it so well!!!! my turn is coming so I’ll know who to ask;)
    thanks for this post….. twas very enlightening for me!!!
    Blessings as you adjust and let your light shine in your corner.